How To Help Your Pet If They Receive An Electric Shock?

Electrical burns are very severe, and when it comes to puppies, they are most often found in youngsters and regular chewers. Electrical shock happens as pets bite on electrical ropes. The electrical current flowing through the wires produces a shock, resulting in burns in the mouth and, in rare situations, fluids in the lungs.

Common Causes of Electrical Shock in Pets

Electrical wires: Home electric wires are the most frequent source of electrical shock. To stop the pet from chewing on electric wires, give them chew toys. It’s also critical that you keep the wires out of sight.

High Voltage Lines: High Voltage Lines are known to break easily. If your pet gets shocked by a high voltage line, it’s always deadly.

Lightning: Lightning is a scary thing. Most people understand that if they hear thunder, they must find shelter. Some pets are usually left outside. Animals can be affected by lightning as quickly as human beings.

Recommended: vetscan flex4 rapid test

Symptoms of Electrical Injuries in Pets

The safest way to confirm that your pet has been electrocuted is to either see the shock occurring or to provide proof that this is what happened to your pet. Whether or not you have had an electrical shock or have found conclusive proof, if you see the following symptoms, it is vital that your pet is promptly checked by a veterinarian:

  • Burns on the paws, tails, or somewhere else in the body
  • Chronic cough
  • Crackling sound in the lungs
  • Increased pulse rate
  • Singed fur
  • Seizures or tremors
  • Collapse and loss of consciousness
  • Heart attack, generally referred to as cardiac arrest
  • Lip, tongue, and/or mouth burns
  • Blue tinge on the skin or gums
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea
  • Abnormal or difficulty in breathing
  • Death

If you think your pet has been electrocuted, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Treating Electrical Injuries in Pets

The standard of veterinary treatment depends on the condition of the animal. In extreme cases, resuscitation of oxygen, fluids and drugs may be needed to facilitate cardiac control and stabilize blood pressure. Mildly affected animals can need relief pain (this can be topical or systemic). Electrical burns can take days to disclose themselves and may entail surgery.

First Aid Tips For Your Pet

Do not touch the liquids around the pet or the pet itself, particularly if the pet is stiff. You can get a deadly shock yourself if you try to touch the animal directly. Rather, you can take the following steps:

  • Switch off the main power source
  • Use a non-conductive tool like a wooden broom to gently move the injured pet away from the power source.
  • Check for heart rate and breathing and, if possible, offer artificial respiration and CPR.
  • Apply cold compresses around the mouth if the pet has chewed power cables to minimize injury.

When the pet has recovered, take them to the vet right away. Often, keep track of his or her heartbeat and breath for the day after the electrical shock accident.

And if there are no obvious signs of injury after an electrical shock, it is still recommended to visit the veterinarian. There may be any internal trauma and build-up of lung fluid that is not apparent externally but may cause serious problems after the injury.

Prevention Tips For Pets

Keep all electrical wires in a dry environment and away from your adventurous pets to avoid electrocution. Routine maintenance of electrical cords for bite marks can warn you to a possible issue. If you encounter teeth marks on electrical wires, unplug the cable and repair it. Be sure that the electrical cables are held out of the grasp of the pets.