There is a distinction to be made between studying directly from a textbook and taking brief notes. Your revision notes will summarize everything you’ve learned over the course of the year. Making excellent and reliable notes is a skill in itself. We all have our unique methods for making revision notes, which is reasonable considering that these notes are for our personal use only. They should be designed in such a way that they pique your interest in studying. They’re not supposed to be made and then forgotten about for the rest of the year.
The number of subjects, as well as the number of chapters in each subject, increases as you progress from primary to secondary and finally high school. The more you have to study, the more organized your revision notes should be. After all, one of the keys to higher marks is revision. As a result, you should be proficient in the art of taking notes. If you focus on making concise and comprehensible revision notes, it will make your learning easier.
IMPORTANCE OF NOTE-TAKING
- Note-taking keeps you alert and avoid you to get distracted.
- Helps in creating a concise and organized set of notes for the class.
- Helps your mind remember concepts for the long term.
METHODS OF MAKING REVISION NOTES
Depending upon your will, you can construct the notes the way you want. Since it is for your personal reference, you should keep it clear enough for you to understand. There are many ways through which you can take revision notes which are listed below:
- The Cornell Method- The Cornell Method is a strategy of making notes that simplifies and organizes your notes while also encouraging you to summarize and examine your subject for a better understanding and revision. Following are the ways to make Cornell notes.
First, divide your page into three parts. The first part would be a 2-3 inches long area on the left side of the page. This area is called the Cue column. The second part is at the bottom of the pages (about five to six lines) which is known as Summaries. An area left on the right side is called the Note Making Column.
- Note Making Column- This column comprises the actual notes that are provided to you in the lecture.
- Cue Column- In this column, you are supposed to brief down the points you have written in the Note making column. You can add important keywords, comments, or objective questions in this column.
- Summaries- This area should include a short summary of the written notes. This section will help you to review the main theme of the concept in short.
The Outlining Method- This method is widely used among the students. You also might be using this method for ages without even knowing its actual name. If the notes are made in a proper format it can give you well-organized notes.
In this method, the general headings are written from the extreme left side of the margin. Subsequently, the sub-topics are indented to the right in bullet points or numbered lists. Making notes in the outline method gives it a structure and makes it look organized.
The Mapping Method- Mapping is a method of note-making in the form of a visual representation of a lecture’s content. It’s a technique that provides rapid feedback on comprehension and emphasizes critical thinking.
In this method, the central idea of the concept is written in the center of the page. And all the points and concepts related to the central topic are linked to each other through branches of lines.
The Charting Method- The charting method is a type of note-making in which lecture notes are summarized in a chart. This method doesn’t ask for too much writing work. It helps in memorizing the points quickly.
The notes are segregated into different categories and are written in different rows and columns. This method is an easy method of note-making as well as saves a lot of time. If you have your chart prepared beforehand, you can swiftly mention down the points as your lecture goes on.
The Sentence Method- As the name itself suggests, the sentence method is simply putting down all the main pointers in different sentences. You can write a new point in a new sentence by numbering it. All these sentences written in vertical order combine to make a sentence note-making method.
Given below are five effective techniques through which you can make well-curated and brief notes. You can choose any of these techniques to make your notes or else you can also opt for any of your own methods whichever is feasible to you.
While making these notes, you should always keep few things in mind. The following points listed below are some suggestions that you should consider while making notes:
- Don’t add too much information- Notes should always be as concise as possible. Also while making notes using the above note-taking methods, keep your points brief. Don’t transcribe the whole textbook and each and every word your teacher says so that when you sit to revise during exams, you don’t have to go through the whole textbook transcript. Short and to-the-point written notes will help you revise easily and quickly.
- Keep your notes organized- Can you imagine revising from a notebook that looks more like a scribbling book? Try to keep your notebook neat and clean so that it gets easy for you to understand. If you are following any of the above-mentioned methods to make notes, make sure to follow the format properly. Divide your topics into main and sub-topics. Number each new line to avoid confusion. The messier your notebook is, the more it will withdraw your will to study.
- Give your notes the magic of colors- It is very important to make your notes look pleasing and appealing. Using different colors will not only make your notes look beautiful, but it will also help you to give your notes variety and clarity.